So about a year previous to this time my kids had steadily been asking and begging for a pet. Every time I had to go and knock on someones door in the neighborhood and the kids heard a dog barking from inside they'd get so excited. Especially my little Embrie.
I told them that they'd need to save their money because pets and all of the supplies needed to take care of them would cost money. I think I thought that they would just forget about it. But throughout the year they continued to save their money and talk about pets and the different kinds of pets out there.
Finally it became clear that this was not something that was going away. They really wanted a pet.
So we discussed what our options were. (And I felt my feelings for what I could handle.)
Their first choice I believe was a dog. I have nothing against dogs. Their friendly and nice and fun. But I am the mom and being such I am the one at home that cleans up after everyone and takes care of everyone most of the time. A dog is on the higher end of the "maintenance scale". Plus we don't have much of a yard.
We talked about hamsters. They are on the lower end of the maintenance scale.
I wanted something easy to care for they wanted something that could be out of a cage and walking around.
We ended up with this little guy. Pretty cute, right?!
Just to preface this, I'd never had an indoor pet growing up except for a brief couple of years with a hamster. We decided he'd need to be an indoor cat. We live near a busy road about a block away and if he'd be an outdoor cat he'd need more shots etc. We were gonna give this a shot.
He was/is a soft little grey furball. Upon making a list and taking a vote we named him Nimbus Cotray. Nimbus after the rain cloud and Cotray... well just because Maren made it up and it was cute and funny. He was 6 weeks old when we brought him home. And since then he has grown 3 or 4 times the size. He is about 6 months now. He is a funny little thing. A kitten so he loves to play.... like all the time. He follows us around from room to room, so not too shy of people. He puts up with the kids mauling him fairly well, but he is capable of holding his own. He is not scared of anything. Not even water it seems. He's not too cuddly yet but I am hoping that as he gets older he'll mellow out a bit. He thinks he is a tiger. He tries to bury his food with the floor mat. And if we've been out of town for a few days he misses us terribly and spends the next week meowing at our bedroom doors at 5:30am. We don't let him come into our rooms at night at this point because like I said he thinks its play time all the time including 2am or anytime before or after.
He thinks that when I do laundry that its specifically for his enjoyment.
Garrett took him to pet show and tell at the end of 2nd grade.









No comments:
Post a Comment