So I did it! yay! There maybe some people out there thinking "so you ran a 3 mile race whoo hoo big deal". Ya it was only 3 miles but as I trained for it, it was a first for me to push myself beyond just being tired and stopping whenever I feel like it. And I learned that I can do it and it wasn't quite as hard as I thought. In training I only time I ever timed myself running it was about 34 min. and I really didn't have a lot of expectations for time I just wanted to do it for the fun sake of doing it. But as I was running I kind of got into pushing myself a little harder. I ended up running it in 28:30 cutting 6 mins of my time! I was pretty surprised. I allow, however, that I was pretty excited and nervous when the race started and adreneline might have something to do with it combined with the lower elevation and fresher air. ;)
There were 4 great girls who ran the 5k with me, they did awesome as well! 2 awesome chicks who didn't run but hung out and made it a great time. And 5 amazing ladies who ran the 1/2 Marathon! Being at the race was awesome. I had a great time cheering other runners on too! As those of us who'd finished the 5k waited to cheer for our girls running the 1/2 I was inspired by all the different people at different physical levels running in the 1/2. From very young kids to adults in their 70's. They all seemed to love the encouragement they got from the side lines. You could tell they were proud of their accomplishment and they should be! So I've heard racing can be addicting and I believe it. I have been continuing my training for the Riverton 1/2 marathon in March. I look forward to running with some of the same great friends, though I admit I am a bit nervous! I just keep thinking that 13 miles is a lot! But too late to back out now! I also am planning on two other races 5k in April and 10k in Aug.As for my other "firsts". . . I left my baby girl for the first time over night 2 nights. I was a little nervous because she can be a mama's girl. But she did just fine! I missed both of my kids, but it was a needed break I think. Also the girls got me to try sushi for the first time. Not the raw kind (it would take a lot more convincing for that, probably money and a lot of it!) The first bite was alright, the second bite was ok and after that it just got worse. I guess I can say that I don't like sushi, for one thing the bites are too big and for another it just doesn't taste good. I'm not usually a very picky eater and it is unfortunate, my only consolation for paying for the food I didn't like was that it is healthy. Plus I tried something new.
These are my running buddies, some of whom I got to know for the first time over this weekend. I have to say I love them all!
Emily(5k), Angie(5k), Angela(1/2), Amy(5k), Jena(1/2), me, Jeanette(1/2), Susie(5k), Laurie(1/2)awesome friend Nickie (1/2) was unfortunately not here for this picture.
Jaime (in blue) was the friend with the awesome connections for the condo we stayed in. It was a great place and she had us all cracking up with her super mad-gab and scrabble skills! Ya we live on the wild side! *hehe
Sheena(in red) supported us all on through the races we are working on convincing her and Jaime to run with us next time!
What is a weekend out with the girls with a lot of exercise if you don't then spend the rest of the time surrounding yourself with food?
(angela, jena, nickie, me, amy, sheena, jeanette, jaime, emily, laurie, angie, susie) (plus a couple of cute babies!)
We stayed up too late and spent a good time not acting our age. And of course, it was PERFECT!
Randi, you are the coolest!!! I am so stoked that you have caught the running bug. I think that you will surprise yourself when you run the half in March....you'll want more before you know it!!! Thank you for making the weekend so much fun. And don't worry that you don't like sushi...someone once told me that it's something you have to get used to. My vote is if you don't like it what's the point of making yourself like it!!! Ha. Thanks for the memories, let's do it again next year and keep up the great work!!!
ReplyDeleteWow! Congrats! Something I have been saying I will do someday, but haven't yet. Keep up the great work and fun!
ReplyDeleteGreat job, Randi! And yes, the adrenaline helps. That's why I love racing. I always run way faster in the race than I did training. And I love the atmosphere, too. Watch out! You're going to be hooked now. I can tell.
ReplyDelete