Friday, May 21, 2010

13 going on . . . 29

Well I've been giving my birthday this year little thought compared with last year's turning 28.


I wouldn't say that I am too concerned with my age and usually don't really care, however, I will admit that last year it took me by surprise. Here is why: turning 28, I don't know why that is the magical number for epiphanies but, I actually realized that I will not be in my 20's forever. I will eventually be in my 30's. This will happen. It did rattle me a little and I can see why some people feel negative about getting older. As for myself I will not feel negatively about it I will just continue making fun of my age as that seems to make me feel better.


I do look older.



(you didn't think I was going to expose my own wrinkles did you? for that you'll have to get a personal close look at my face by which time I will know what you are up to!)



This is funny because while growing up I was always so embarrassed that people thought I was so much younger than I actually was. It is true that the last time I was offered a kids menu I was actually 18. But I think that person was just plum crazy! My sweet grandmother, Hila Watson, would always tell me that in the future I would enjoy that people thought I was younger. And I have come to learn that is true. I even began to expect that this would be the case my entire life. That made me happy. Well Not So! last year I asked a young girl that I was working with how old she thought I was. She said and, I quote: " late 20's early 30's?" HA! This means that I actually look my age!!! Granted, I feel better by telling myself that I gave her a few hints before she guessed!


I don't feel older.



( I truly do Love Lucy!)



Now of course I am a mom and sometimes I feel older and I have to make some mature decisions. But I will admit that I was at the store one day not too long ago, I was alone (which rarely happens) And I had this sudden urge to take my shopping cart running and jump on it and glide down the isle. Don't worry I thought better of it as I looked around at the other women my age (which also look their age I am glad to say) I realized that this might get a few strange looks. However, it made me wonder if I am the only one that gets the urge to do silly things like that??? When I get together for a girls night, I definitely don't act my age. But I enjoy it!
I am sure I will continue to enjoy not acting my age well into my older years, and I wonder what it will look like when I am 50 and acting 13.


I remember going to the Twilight movie on opening night and seeing 40/50 yr old women dressed in prom dresses. I remember laughing at that, but just today I realized they were probably having and great time! and why shouldn't they? I may not go that far but I am sure I will get some funny looks at that age too on occasion.



Last of all I will sum up my day, today as it is my actual birthday.


Embrie has been sick all week with Hand-Foot-Mouth, (which is a fever, accompanied by a rash on the hands, feet and tushy, along with sores inside the mouth) This started for her on Tuesday so it is actually better now. But the poor girl fell on the open dishwasher door last night and shoved her newest tooth back up into her gums! As if her poor mouth didn't have enough to be on with! It bled for an hour and is terrible to look at (if you dare to try). She will be seeing the dentist next week as recommended, but most likely she will be ok, just really sore. So a little irritable today and eating still not easy. Because H-F-M is quite contagious, Garrett woke at about midnight last night with a pretty hot temp and for my kids Fevers mean Throw-up. And so he did all over himself, me, the bed the box springs, the carpet and even his best little sleeping pal Lightening McQueen. Right after cleaning him up poor little guy figured Daddy had been left out and not puked on so it was his turn. So the night was filled with two restless little sleepers and tired parents. I am home on my birthday with the sickies, cleaning the house and Brad will be home late tonight.


Feeling sorry for myself? . . . Not really. . .


Strangely enough It has been a descent day. My kids are sick, but dealing with it quite well under the circumstances. And I have been cleaning but realizing that is the gift I am giving myself because I am much more at peace when the house is clean anyway. We've all been in our pj's all day, which for those of you who know me well isn't that out of the ordinary but I love my pjs. And I may not be going out to eat tonight but I am picking something up for dinner, probably from the dollar menu which means that I don't have to cook or clean up the kitchen afterward, which makes me happy.


Happy Birthday to me! I am pretty blessed!



I will be doing a late post on Mother's Day, apparently this is a year of revelations for me :)

2 comments:

  1. You make me laugh Randi!!!! You look great (although I am going to have to check out those "wrinkles", I'll believe it when I see it!) Also I have no problem with the shopping cart riding...it's all good! Happy Birthday to you, I'm glad you have been having a good one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I get a little weirded out that I am getting close to thirty, but I always have to remind myself that life only gets better. The older I get, the happier I am. Age really is just a number. It doesn't mean anything. I'm the same person I was at twenty, only more improved. Also, thirty is still very young!

    ReplyDelete