Pioneer Day
Day's of 47
Utah State Holiday to celebrate our pioneer heritage.
Well we actually spent it in Cokeville, Wyoming. But lucky for us they celebrate it there too!
Our first stop on the train of fun was the Buckaroo Rodeo. This year my nephew Jaxon expressed a desire to ride a sheep for those of you city slickers this is called 'mutton bustin'.
So Garrett was asked if he also wanted to try. He said he would do it too. Well as his mother and knowing him so well I was a little concerned that he's chicken out at the last moment. Jessica was also worried that Jaxon might do the same, I mean it's not like we're around a lot of sheep and the sheep are bigger than them, it could be a little intimidating.
Well here is what happened:
Utah State Holiday to celebrate our pioneer heritage.
Well we actually spent it in Cokeville, Wyoming. But lucky for us they celebrate it there too!
Our first stop on the train of fun was the Buckaroo Rodeo. This year my nephew Jaxon expressed a desire to ride a sheep for those of you city slickers this is called 'mutton bustin'.
So Garrett was asked if he also wanted to try. He said he would do it too. Well as his mother and knowing him so well I was a little concerned that he's chicken out at the last moment. Jessica was also worried that Jaxon might do the same, I mean it's not like we're around a lot of sheep and the sheep are bigger than them, it could be a little intimidating.
Well here is what happened:
Brad could not be there for the rodeo because he was still working :( But luckily I have two brothers who were totally willing to help. Awh! look at those two handsome, strapping young men! As veteran mutton busters themselves they were able to help the boys get into the shoot. Actually Jared (in the green) I think rode a calf in a rodeo once.
Jaxon is up first and he does it! Way to go Jax! I just got one shot of him taking his fall. Good job buddy!
And so Garrett can't back out now right? Kalvin lifts him into the shoot. Do you think he is nervous? I can only imagine since I wasn't right there.
and he is off! - or should I say on.
And he gets back up after the fall! Yay! good job Garrett! Nice ride!
My step-dad now owns a 1930 Model A car that used to belong to his father. It is a very special car that my grandpa put a lot of work into during his lifetime and so it means a lot to my step dad and to us. It was decided that it could be driven in the Cokeville parade. Unfortunately, it should have been my step-dad driving it, but sadly he was at work that day (in China might I mention) or he would've been there. We missed him.
This was my kid's first time being IN a parade. They were sooo excited all week!
This was my kid's first time being IN a parade. They were sooo excited all week!

The little girls, Embrie and Jerzee dressed as "flappers" from the 20's/30's along with Grandma Sheri. They rode in the model A which was driven by uncle Kalvin, and threw candy and toys to the kids.
Embrie, despite not being able to talk about anything else the whole week before decided to be a little grumpy during the parade. She sat with Kalvin's friend Jessica and after she got her "blanky" thrown to her in the middle of the parade finally decided to cheer up and throw some candy for the 2nd half.My Uncle Bret brought his Rhino up and the boys, Garrett and Jaxon, dressed as cowboys and threw candy from the Rhino.

Throwing candy is just as good as catching it! They LOVE that Rhino they spent the rest of the weekend pretending they were driving it.

Elder L.Tom Perry from the quorum of the 12 is a special visitor that come to the tiny town of Cokeville for each 24th celebration. (His wife is from here.) He rides in the parade and throws candy too! and then gives a devotional at the church afterward.

On our final night in town the kids watched the main Rodeo. I love this picture of Garrett and Jaxon on the arena fence. They are the cutest little cowboys ever! Garrett is even chewing on a piece of grass.

they decided to join the "chicken chase" for all 10 and unders. I don't think Garrett was really interested in catching one, but it's fun to try right?

Garrett

Jerzee and Embrie did a little cowgirl fence climbing of their own, but they weren't in the mood to keep their hats on.

Fun times!

How fun they celebrate and you could spend time with family. That old car is SO cool. Katy would need her blankie too! I think small towns know how to do it up for holidays like this. Garrett is a brave buckaroo!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting Randi! That is so great that Grandpa's model A was in the parade. Good times in Cokeville.
ReplyDelete