Sunday, March 29, 2015

But what does mom do?

So we've been trying harder the last several months to have family prayer each day. We decided to take turns each day oldest to youngest so that everyone has equal chance, and because Maren is the only one who excitedly volunteers all the time.

We remind the kids all the time that when we say family prayer that they are praying for the whole family not just themselves and that they can pray about anything they feel they want to. I try to set the example by mentioning each one of them and pray for them individually about things they might be working on or going through. Well, few weeks ago I started to notice a pattern that was funny. Whenever they'd pray and go through each family member they left one person out, mom. (Now don't worry this post isn't going to be all about me, it's going somewhere I promise!) So one night I told Garrett good job on including everyone (I really was serious) and I giggled and told them they usually forget one person. Well apparently Garrett totally understood what I was talking about because he said, "Well I don't know what mom does!"  HA! Brad and I started laughing.

Should I feel underappreciated? I don't know, but I don't really. It got me thinking about moms in general. It's hard for kids to put a label on the many jobs that mom's do. Each of us take for granted that they are always there. It's true that I am not currently leaving  to go to work the way Dad does, I am not getting ready for a big dance recital like the girls, I'm not starting baseball like Garrett and I don't go to school like they do. So what does a mom do? Well if you're a mom you know the answers: just about everything!

I watched the Women's session of LDS General Conference last night, I loved the little story about the mother who signed up for Career Day at her child's school class and listed her job as "homemaker". The school didn't call her to help out that day, but she went anyway and when she showed up the office had to scramble to find her a badge. Maybe they didn't take her "job description" very seriously? She did her presentation with her daughters class and explained the many things that mom's have to be good at and manage. The kids were surprised. She finished her fun lesson by having the kids write a thank you note to their mothers and she left an impression! (I may not be telling the story completely correct, but I know it will be updated online soon so anyone can check it out.)

Back to our little family prayer nights, the next time that Garrett prayed he did mention mom saying, "please bless mom that she'll be able to help the girls learn their dances for the recital."

Yes, Garrett that is what I do! :)



1 comment:

  1. Love! so true. Us moms do SO much that is often overlooked. It's a great reminder to talk about all the things we do!

    ReplyDelete