Monday, July 11, 2011

The Basement Project #1

So the basement is finally done! (mostly) 2 1/2 years ago we begin to work on our basement. We knew that it would take time and money. For one thing my husband does have another job (or two) so he can't be home to work on it all the time and in order to save money we decided to do as much of it ourselves as possible. We are very very lucky to have people in our family who know how to do things like this! Starting from scratch we got to work. Brad and my grandpa Clyde did almost everything. The first day my step-dad, grandpa and Brad started the framing. They both left us with most of the tools we'd need to keep going. After that Brad would work on it when he could and on many of his days off my grandpa would come down and help. They did the framing, insulation and sheet rock. The little bit of plumbing we hired out. Brad installed the shower. Our brother-in-law Eric came and did our wiring. My uncle Mont came and did the mudding and taping while my grandpa and Brad were there at his disposal to help. I primed and painted walls, ceiling, doors & trim (that's my only specialty and claim for helping since I was watching the kids most of the time). Brad and my grandpa installed the doors and trim with the help of my grandma (who actually came every time and helped quite a bit too). Brad's dad came and helped cut & lay the tile. Brad grouted the tile. Then finally it was someone else's turn to do the work! We had the carpet installed last week! yay! Brad will say it's not done, but I say it is close enough for a little comfort on my part (we have a baby coming soon and we need the room). The only things left are the toilet, vanity, and trim in the bathroom and shelves in the toy closet and book shelf.

We couldn't have done this without my grandpa Clyde! I love him tons! Thank you thank you thank you.
Also to my dear husband: he is so particular about how he wants things done, and having them perfect that sometimes I got impatient and thought " I don't care what it looks like just get it done!!!" (especially these last 3-4 months you know, pregnancy, nesting, etc.) BUT I have to say that because of his attention to detail and all of his hard work we have a very very nice basement. It has been finished much better than the rest of our house which was done by people who do this for a living, and this was Brad's first time doing any of it. Thanks honey! you did a GREAT job! I love you!
here is what it looks like today!
heading down the stair well (impossible to get a good shot of this)


looking in from the middle landing at how it is divided by the load baring wall






main living room


second room (toy room)


this little nitch has a built in book shelf on one side and a closet on the other.


and of course the bathroom is not finished yet, but close!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my heck! I LOVE it. I need to schedule a time I can come and see what's up. I am thinking we will be finishing the basement soon and would love to do the same thing. LOVE!!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete